The Canon EF Lens to Micro Four Thirds Speed Booster from Metabones allows a full frame Canon EF lens to be mounted to a Micro Four Thirds mount camera and in doing so, increases the angle of view by 0.71x and increases the maximum aperture one f/stop.
When a lens intended for full frame sensors or 35mm film is mounted to a camera with a Micro Four Thirds sensor, it transmits a larger area of light than the smaller sensor was built to accept and therefore the effective angle of view of the lens increases. The Speed Booster condenses light from the lens and projects it onto the MFT sensor allowing it to utilize all of the lens' light and effectively reduces the crop factor of an MFT camera from 2x to 1.07x, producing a full-frame angle of view with an MFT sensor. A corresponding increase in the maximum aperture of one f/stop makes the lens more effective in low-light situations and able to create a shallow depth of field.
Automatic exposure information is communicated by the speed booster and controlled from the camera body. No external power source is required as the speed booster is powered by the camera and houses a 32-bit processor. A power-conserving Green Mode is supported as well as an Advanced Mode which enables functions such as auto magnify focus assist and depth of focus preview. A wide-open button enables easier focusing and adjustments for infinity focus can be easily made if necessary.
Metabones Speed Boosters are quality made, using precision-machined brass with chromium plating on both the camera body and the lens side of the booster in order to ensure smooth mounting, quality aesthetic, and durability. This adapter has a detachable tripod foot that is compatible with Arca Swiss, Markins, and Photo Clam ball heads. This speed booster does not support the Olympus OM-D E-M1, E-M5, or E-M10 mirrorless cameras.
- Allows a full frame Canon EF lens to be mounted to a Panasonic or Olympus Micro Four Thirds format camera and in doing so, increases the angle of view by 0.71x and increases the maximum aperture one f/stop.
- Electronic integration of the camera's aperture is supported and controlled via the camera body. Autofocus is not supported but lens-based image stabilization is supported and EXIF data is communicated.
- Third party EF mount lenses such as those by Sigma, Tamron and Tokina are compatible however third party zoom lenses may need to be registered with the Speed Booster first in order to detect their maximum aperture.
- High performance 32-bit processor and efficient switched-mode power supply is featured and the speed booster is powered by the camera body.
- Precise fit and solid connection - lens has no play, gap or wiggling when mounted on speed booster and no adjustments are required to fit your lens. Both the camera-side and the lens-side of the speed booster are made of brass which is precision-machined and chrome-plated.
- The Speed Booster uses matte-black treatment to keep internal reflection to a minimum in order to maintain the maximum optical quality possible with the lens. The exterior features a black satin surface finish.
- This Metabones Speed Booster has two different operation modes, Green and Advanced. In Green Mode battery power is conserved by reducing certain functions. For example, in Green Mode there is no depth of field preview and no auto magnify manual focus assist. The operation mode is set when you mount the lens.
- The lens' aperture is set to wide open for ease of focusing while the Wide-Open (WO) button of the Metabones Speed Booster is depressed. Release the button and the lens will return to the aperture set on the camera. This wide-open function is automatically shut off when you actually take a picture and during movie capture.
- The Speed Booster is fine-tuned to be able to focus to infinity for every combination of lens and camera body, and also to ensure optimal optical quality with CRC or floating-element lenses. No adjustments are necessary, but some older lenses which are out of tune due to age and some lower quality optics may not be able to focus to infinity with a Speed Booster. It is possible to adjust Speed Booster to allow for infinity focus for these lenses by loosening the stop screw and rotating the glass elements.
- The speed booster features a detachable tripod foot which is compatible with Arca Swiss, Markins, Photo Clam ball heads.
- This speed booster does not support the Olympus OM-D E-M1, E-M5, or E-M10 mirrorless cameras.